JAPAN 2015: Day 4 - Eastern and Downtown Kyoto.




April 10th, 3PM - Philosopher's Path, Kyoto.

Philosopher's Path is my favorite place of all time. It was actually 5 minutes walk away from my Airbnb in Kyoto, so I could conveniently explore it at my own time. It is a path lined with cherry trees, with several temples and shrines nearby. 


I remember feeling super serene walking along this path and exploring the area. Partly because it was drizzling so I had the entire place to myself.



I walked through many houses too and kept smelling miso soup. Miso soup on a rainy day, mmmm. There were some small shops among the houses too and I saw this one with a chalkboard stand outside with the words "apple cake" on it. Wah, apple cake sounds fantastic. I must be pretty hungry that time, because these memories stayed on my mind vividly.

 More shrines and temples.

A video of the surroundings, just as a gust of wind came and created a blossom fall.




I didn't plan any places of interest to visit at all in this area. The shrines and temples you saw in the previous post and the one below, they were all chanced upon.






 April 10th, 6.30PM - Downtown Kyoto.
I forgot the exact street name but it was somewhere around Shijo-dori and Sanjo-dori, where all the nightlife is. At that time, I thought I was in Gion but it was actually a bridge away.

There were plenty of shops and restaurants. Some bars and dodgy looking places too. Looks like a good place for strolling. But first, dinner!... at a random restaurant. 



The soba was hands down the best soba I've ever had, no exaggeration. Maybe it was cold and I was hungry? Unfortunately, I totally forgot the place where I had it. I even tried looking for it again but failed. ( ˃̣̣̥ω˂̣̣̥ )

Alright, no point crying over missing soba. Here are some pictures of nicely illuminated sakuras along the street. 



The food street and sakuras are located somewhere behind Shijo-dori, it could be Sanjo-dori but I can't be sure. Shijo-dori on the other hand, is a main street filled with franchises and places to shop.

UPDATE: I've finally identified that street. Or rather, streets. They are Nishi-kiyacho Dori and Kiyamachi Street.


 Another muted McD's!

That's all for my free and easy first day in Kyoto. The zen vibe of the city felt great, especially since I just experienced the hectic Tokyo.

On a side note, I really need to wrap up my 2015's Japan trip ASAP. I got back from my 2016's Japan trip a few weeks ago and I can't wait to start documenting the even awesome-r stuff already! I've planned out the remaining 2015 posts, and it looks like I have about 7 to go. ٩(•̤̀ᵕ•̤́๑)ᵒᵏᵎᵎᵎᵎ



ALL JAPAN 2015 POSTS:
Day 0.5 - Getting There. And Tsukiji.
Day 1 - Ueno Park. “Hana Yori Dango”.
Day 1 - Sensoji. And an Adventure at Night.
Day 2 - All Things Ghibli (Museum).
What to do when you lose your JR Pass.
[SHORTS]: My First Airbnb Experience.
Day 4 - Hello Kyoto! (Intro).
Day 4 - Eastern and Downtown Kyoto.
Day 5 - Ryoanji and Kinkakuji.
Day 5 - Arashiyama and HORSE SASHIMI?
Day 6 - Fushimi Inari-taisha and Nishiki Market.
Day 7 - Gotta Catch 'Em All in Osaka (Pokemon Center) and Mint Bureau's Nighttime Sakuras.
Day 8 - Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan.
Day 9 - Universal Studios Japan.
Day 10 - Osaka Castle, Den Den Town, Dotonbori.
Day 11 - 10 Days Japan Itinerary (Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka).



Comments

Popular Posts