Blue Med Food Tasting


Last week I was blessed enough to be invited to attend a food tasting at an upcoming restaurant in Boulevard Mid Valley.

Located right across of Starbucks, Blue Med is a Mediterranean restaurant and will officially open its doors in January 2013.

That evening we dined upstairs (yes the restaurant has 2 levels) which has the perfect setting for fine dining. We didn't manage to check out the lower floor which supposingly has a trendy cool and modern environment with touches of comfort. Also, I've heard that they have 2 large chandeliers made of glass bottles specially designed for them! The luxurious upper floor seats 60 and has 2 private dining rooms.

Time to roll out the menu!

Our tasting menu of the night is prepared by the Iron Chef Sasajima, a Maestro of a distinctive style of Italian cuisine with a Japanese twist. I know right! Japanese.. Italian.. Mediterranean? How does that work exactly? I was so excited to see how that'll turn out.

Buffalo Mozzarella and Plum Tomato “Caprese”

I'll be honest, I'm not a cheese person so I don't know how to comment on this. I usually go for fragrant cheeses like parmesan (and usually as toppings) but this buffalo mozzarella was pretty good. The texture was a bit of a blend between soft and chewy and the taste wasn't too strong. Overall, I think it really worked as an appetizer as it stimulated the tastebuds and prepped them a bit.

Carpaccio of Hirame with Wild Rice and Soft Aubergine

Carpaccio! A typical Italian dish but made with Hirame, the typical Japanese sushi fish. I can see how this fusion thing works now. As a raw fish lover, I enjoyed this dish a bit more than the rest. The Hirame wasn't overly marinated so most of the fish taste was conserved. Wild rice was a good complement too. Underneath the fish slices lies the soft aubergine, which was very flavorful!

Spaghetti Tomato Sauce with Sea Bass and Grilled Vegetables

Our main for the night. It was pretty unique and well made. The tomato sauce was light and definitely gives you the comfort food satisfaction. I loved the sea bass bits! I'd like it better if the taste of the grilled vegetables wasn't that strong though. It was a nice contrast in taste but due to personal preference, I'll ask them to go easy on the grilled vege if I order this. 

Espresso Pannacotta

Taste-wise, it was perfect. Every spoonful gives you a distinct honey taste which is then followed by an rich espresso aftertaste. I enjoyed the variety of berries and the caramel drizzle on the side too! The texture of the pannacotta was actually almost overly gelatin-like. Some prefer it this way but for me, I prefer mine to be softer and more custard-like.


Overall, it was truly a Mediterranean experience with a slight fusion twist to it. The flavors of the ingredients are very well preserved as minimal seasoning is used. If I were to use 3 words to sum up this entire dining experience it'll be: fresh, flavorful, light

Group picture with the other bloggers who were present that evening. All full and happy :) Thanks for having us.


Blu Med will officially open its doors in January 2013. 

Blu Med 

Unit 27-G Ground Flr & Unit 27-1 First Flr, 
Signature Office, 
The Boulevard, Mid Valley City , 
Lingkaran Syed Putra, 59200 Kuala Lumpur

Comments

Popular Posts